- JFD expands leadership team
- JFD wins multi-million pound lifeboat contract
- Visit JFD at UI 2016
- JFD launches COBRA
- JFD wins £193m Indian Navy contract
- JFD launches pioneering medial training course
- JFD exhibiting at UDT 2016
- JFD partners with Subtech for training courses
- JFD invests in popular course
- JFD committed to efficiency improvements
- NHC delivers successful Client Rep course in South Africa
- Specialist provider of diving equipment becomes part of JFD
- Pelican Summer 2016 released
- JFD launches new website
- NHC Training agreement with Fugro
- JFD begins restructuring process
- JFD secures multi million pound sat system contract
- Pelican Autumn 2016 released
- JFD LEXMAR is exhibiting at OSEA 2016
- NHC upgrade approved for reception of 24 man SPHLs
- JFD and Wuhu sign joint venture
- Portable HRF delivered to NHC
- JFD nominated for global export award
- JFD welcomes new Diving Technical Authority
- JFD is exhibiting at Subsea Expo 2017
- JFD HeliCom Matrix to be used in world-first experiment
- Visit JFD on stand 403 at Underwater Intervention 2017
- JFD Shortlisted in the HSBC Scottish Export Awards
- JFD and Wuhu Diving Equipment Factory joint venture secures first saturation diving system contract
- JFD undertakes successful NSRS exercise
- JFD exhibiting at Europoltech
- COBRA passes conformity assessment for CE marking
- JFD awarded significant contract with UK MOD Salvage and Marine Operations
- Pelican Spring 2017 released
- JFD at IMDEX
- Visit JFD at UDT 2017
- Sculptures pressure tested at JFD's National Hyperbaric Centre
- JFD prepares for final testing of two safety-advanced SPHLs
- Divulged Summer 2017 newsletter
- James Fisher Engineering & Technology Open Day
- Visit JFD at DSEI 2017
- Specialist hyperbaric welding trials completed at JFD’s NHC
- Pelican Summer 2017 released
- Come see JFD at DSEI!
- JFD demonstrates NATO Sub Rescue System during Dynamic Monarch
- COBRA passes trials to 450msw
- Visit JFD at Pacific 2017
- JFD Divex watch found at bottom of Indian Ocean!
- JFD is exhibiting at ADIPEC 2017
- 24-man HRF upgrade completed at NHC
- JFD advances state-of-the-art submarine rescue system build
- JFD completes build of first two SPHLs
- Submarine rescue skills put to the test
- Christmas shutdown dates 2017
- JFD providing vital submarine rescue expertise to the Indian Navy
- Pelican Winter 2017 released
- Divulged Winter 2017 newsletter
- JFD is exhibiting at Subsea EXPO 2018
- Visit JFD on stand 338 at Underwater Intervention 2018
Release date: 02 August 2017
Specialist hyperbaric welding trials completed at JFD’s National Hyperbaric Centre
JFD, world-leading submarine rescue and diving equipment company and part of James Fisher and Sons plc, recently facilitated a dry hyperbaric welding trial for Subsea 7 within its saturation diving complex in Aberdeen.
Ten diver welders were welcomed to JFD’s National Hyperbaric Centre in May and were accommodated for 13 days at a depth of 43msw within the saturation diving system in order to prove their welding techniques prior to fulfilling an offshore contract.
JFD’s National Hyperbaric Centre houses the only land based saturation diving system in the UK. The 16-man saturation dive complex is the ideal choice for clients looking to simulate a realistic, controlled hyperbaric environment in order to pre-qualify their diver welders prior to an offshore project ensuring welding procedures are safe, compliant and efficient.
The centre has enabled a number of welding trials over the years and its unique facilities and specialist technicians have attracted customers from around the world – even as far as Australia!
The saturation system is capable of facilitating manned trials to 300msw and comprises two fully fitted 8-man living chambers which connect to a transfer chamber (TC). Wet or dry diving trials can be accommodated and in the case of a wet trial, the TC simulates a diving bell complete with moon pool which connects to the work chamber below.
The work chamber is fitted out prior to the weld by JFD’s experienced technicians who ensure the correct safety and monitoring equipment is in place. Working closely with the client they create a habitat environment as similar as possible to the one in which the divers will be working in offshore.
The dive follows exact offshore procedures with divers being monitored 24/7 by JFD life support supervisors and technicians as soon as they are under pressure. On shift within the work chamber, divers are monitored by Subsea 7 dive supervisors as they complete their welding procedures. Between shifts, the welded pipeline sections are removed from the work chamber through the entry lock of the TC and are taken away for inspection by a third party to ensure weld integrity in order to successfully qualify the diver welder.
Performing hyperbaric welding trials within a controlled environment is essential to ensure safety and efficiency during mobilisation, and to reduce downtime offshore which could be time consuming and costly for the client.
Martin Robb, head of delivery for Commercial services, said:
“This is the first hyperbaric weld we have performed in the last couple of years following the industry downturn and I am delighted with JFD’s performance. The dive system is continually maintained and audited and as such can be fully operational on short notice. JFD staff worked closely alongside the client to mobilise and fit out the work chamber for the weld trials and the project ran to schedule.
The chamber complex ran 24 hour operations efficiently and smoothly which is testament to our highly skilled and experienced staff and technicians who managed the project exceptionally well from start to finish, quickly and expertly responding to any requests that arose from either the divers or the client.
The facility also acts as a 24 hour diver emergency response centre and, as luck would have it, we received an emergency call to support a diving incident during the welding project. The team immediately responded and implemented the relevant JFD procedures for such an emergency. The emergency was successfully and efficiently handled and the welding trial operation remained unaffected. I am incredibly proud of the team’s professional and expert approach to the situation and their continuous efforts as a whole which ensure JFD maintains its position at the forefront of subsea safety.”
Read more about the Simultaneous Operation here.
To sign up to receive all our bulletins and newsletters please click here