- JFD expands leadership team
- JFD wins multi-million pound lifeboat contract
- Visit JFD at UI 2016
- JFD launches COBRA
- JFD wins £193m Indian Navy contract
- JFD launches pioneering medial training course
- JFD exhibiting at UDT 2016
- JFD partners with Subtech for training courses
- JFD invests in popular course
- JFD committed to efficiency improvements
- NHC delivers successful Client Rep course in South Africa
- Specialist provider of diving equipment becomes part of JFD
- Pelican Summer 2016 released
- JFD launches new website
- NHC Training agreement with Fugro
- JFD begins restructuring process
- JFD secures multi million pound sat system contract
- Pelican Autumn 2016 released
- JFD LEXMAR is exhibiting at OSEA 2016
- NHC upgrade approved for reception of 24 man SPHLs
- JFD and Wuhu sign joint venture
- Portable HRF delivered to NHC
- JFD nominated for global export award
- JFD welcomes new Diving Technical Authority
- JFD is exhibiting at Subsea Expo 2017
- JFD HeliCom Matrix to be used in world-first experiment
- Visit JFD on stand 403 at Underwater Intervention 2017
- JFD Shortlisted in the HSBC Scottish Export Awards
- JFD and Wuhu Diving Equipment Factory joint venture secures first saturation diving system contract
- JFD undertakes successful NSRS exercise
- JFD exhibiting at Europoltech
- COBRA passes conformity assessment for CE marking
- JFD awarded significant contract with UK MOD Salvage and Marine Operations
- Pelican Spring 2017 released
- JFD at IMDEX
- Visit JFD at UDT 2017
- Sculptures pressure tested at JFD's National Hyperbaric Centre
- JFD prepares for final testing of two safety-advanced SPHLs
- Divulged Summer 2017 newsletter
- James Fisher Engineering & Technology Open Day
- Visit JFD at DSEI 2017
- Specialist hyperbaric welding trials completed at JFD’s NHC
- Pelican Summer 2017 released
- Come see JFD at DSEI!
- JFD demonstrates NATO Sub Rescue System during Dynamic Monarch
- COBRA passes trials to 450msw
- Visit JFD at Pacific 2017
- JFD Divex watch found at bottom of Indian Ocean!
- JFD is exhibiting at ADIPEC 2017
- 24-man HRF upgrade completed at NHC
- JFD advances state-of-the-art submarine rescue system build
- JFD completes build of first two SPHLs
- Submarine rescue skills put to the test
- Christmas shutdown dates 2017
- JFD presents at Golden Jubilee of Indian Submarine arm
- JFD providing vital submarine rescue expertise to the Indian Navy
- Pelican Winter 2017 released
- Divulged Winter 2017 newsletter
- JFD is exhibiting at Subsea EXPO 2018
- Visit JFD on stand 338 at Underwater Intervention 2018
- Visit us at OTC Asia 2018
- JFD completes harbour acceptance trials for DSRV
- Australian defence industry jobs created through acquisition
- JFD completes build of first 3rd Gen Submarine Rescue System
Release date: 26 June 2017
JFD prepares for final testing of first two safety-advanced SPHLs completed with Vanguard
JFD, the world-leading subsea operations and manufacturing company and part of James Fisher and Sons plc, nears completion of two innovative and newly designed self-propelled hyperbaric lifeboats (SPHL), developed in partnership with Vanguard Composite Engineering Pte Ltd (Vanguard), which are leading the market in operational lifeboat safety standards.
In February 2016, JFD won a multi-million pound contract to design and manufacture six SPHLs (four 18-man and two 24-man) as part of the saturation diving systems on board a new fleet of diving support vessels (DSV). Final testing of the first two 18-man SPHLs is due to take place before installation and commissioning on the first DSV. These lifeboats mark the first to be completed as part of a new partnership between JFD and Vanguard, based in Singapore.
The partnership combines JFD’s hyperbaric and chamber manufacture and design expertise with highly respected lifeboat manufacturer, Vanguard. This exclusive partnership leads the way for a new generation of hyperbaric lifeboats and integrated davit systems which are leading the market in terms of operational safety standards for saturation divers.
Giovanni Corbetta, JFD managing director stated:
“We are delighted with the progress of our first collaborative project alongside Vanguard. The project is on schedule and we are looking forward to delivering two advanced, high-quality vessels which will raise the safety standard of SPHLs globally, greatly improving the chances of a successful, safe recovery and decompression of the divers”.
JFD and Vanguard worked closely during the design and engineering phase, and the build programme for each element commenced simultaneously across all their global locations. Following the SPHL boats and davit systems manufacture at Vanguard facility in China and the chamber fabrication at JFD’s Australian, Korean and UK bases, the final outfitting is being completed at JFD’s LEXMAR facility in Singapore.
The SPHLs have been subject to continuous testing and DNV class build surveys throughout their manufacture to ensure compliance with the latest industry standards. FAT testing is due to commence with the client and shipyard, which will involve pressure and leak tests, load and function tests and all other requirements mandated by Class, IMO and SOLAS.
The completed lifeboats will undergo speed and endurance testing in August 2017 before final acceptance by DNV and delivery to the client.
JFD’s project team will then move straight onto the additional two 18-man 300m SPHLs and the two 24-man 300m SPHLs to complete the contract.
While the partnership with Vanguard is a new avenue for JFD, the company has a long standing pedigree of hyperbaric and chamber manufacture and design. Previous builds have included those within saturation diving systems onboard DSV’s Deep Explorer, Skandi Singapore, Skandi Arctic, Seven Atlantic and Skandi Achiever, to name a few.
“We are very excited about the future of this partnership having just secured a further contract with Shanghai Salvage for the supply of two SPHLs for JFD’s prestigious 500m rated 24-man modular saturation system. They have just passed prototype testing and are scheduled for delivery Q2 2018.
“We have received extremely positive feedback from clients in regards to the venture. The two companies are leaders in their fields and share the same ambition to progress the safety of the subsea industry through well designed, high quality equipment.”
To sign up to receive all our bulletins and newsletters please click here