- JFD expands leadership team
- JFD wins multi-million pound lifeboat contract
- Visit JFD at UI 2016
- JFD launches COBRA
- JFD wins £193m Indian Navy contract
- JFD launches pioneering medial training course
- JFD exhibiting at UDT 2016
- JFD partners with Subtech for training courses
- JFD invests in popular course
- JFD committed to efficiency improvements
- NHC delivers successful Client Rep course in South Africa
- Specialist provider of diving equipment becomes part of JFD
- Pelican Summer 2016 released
- JFD launches new website
- NHC Training agreement with Fugro
- JFD begins restructuring process
- JFD secures multi million pound sat system contract
- Pelican Autumn 2016 released
- JFD LEXMAR is exhibiting at OSEA 2016
- NHC upgrade approved for reception of 24 man SPHLs
- JFD and Wuhu sign joint venture
- Portable HRF delivered to NHC
- JFD nominated for global export award
- JFD welcomes new Diving Technical Authority
- JFD is exhibiting at Subsea Expo 2017
- JFD HeliCom Matrix to be used in world-first experiment
- Visit JFD on stand 403 at Underwater Intervention 2017
- JFD Shortlisted in the HSBC Scottish Export Awards
- JFD and Wuhu Diving Equipment Factory joint venture secures first saturation diving system contract
- JFD undertakes successful NSRS exercise
- JFD exhibiting at Europoltech
- COBRA passes conformity assessment for CE marking
- JFD awarded significant contract with UK MOD Salvage and Marine Operations
- Pelican Spring 2017 released
- JFD at IMDEX
- Visit JFD at UDT 2017
- Sculptures pressure tested at JFD's National Hyperbaric Centre
- JFD prepares for final testing of two safety-advanced SPHLs
- Divulged Summer 2017 newsletter
- James Fisher Engineering & Technology Open Day
- Visit JFD at DSEI 2017
- Specialist hyperbaric welding trials completed at JFD’s NHC
- Pelican Summer 2017 released
- Come see JFD at DSEI!
- JFD demonstrates NATO Sub Rescue System during Dynamic Monarch
- COBRA passes trials to 450msw
- Visit JFD at Pacific 2017
- JFD Divex watch found at bottom of Indian Ocean!
- JFD is exhibiting at ADIPEC 2017
- 24-man HRF upgrade completed at NHC
- JFD advances state-of-the-art submarine rescue system build
- JFD completes build of first two SPHLs
- Submarine rescue skills put to the test
- Christmas shutdown dates 2017
- JFD presents at Golden Jubilee of Indian Submarine arm
- JFD providing vital submarine rescue expertise to the Indian Navy
- Pelican Winter 2017 released
- Divulged Winter 2017 newsletter
- JFD is exhibiting at Subsea EXPO 2018
- Visit JFD on stand 338 at Underwater Intervention 2018
- Visit us at OTC Asia 2018
- JFD completes harbour acceptance trials for DSRV
- Australian defence industry jobs created through acquisition
- JFD completes build of first 3rd Gen Submarine Rescue System
- JFD shortlisted as finalist at HSBC Scottish Export Awards 2018
Release date: 19 February 2018
Australian defence industry jobs to be created by major takeover
Australian defence industry jobs will be created through JFD Australia – the world’s leading company in submarine rescue – taking over diving and recompression specialist, Cowan Manufacturing.
The acquisition of the Newcastle-based business is a significant step in JFD’s plan to expand its advanced manufacturing base in Australia and complements existing high-tech facilities at Bibra Lake, south of Perth and Kirrawee in Sydney.
“Perth is where it all began for us in Australia in 2003, equipping the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) with military diving equipment and systems then, in 2009, we began providing the RAN with a free-swimming submarine rescue service and escape training facility,” said General Manager, JFD Australia, Toff Idrus.
“From there, with the help of an outstanding local supply chain and some 100 local personnel, we have become a safe, proven and reliable capability partner of the RAN as well as a leading exporter of products for defence industries around the world.
“This is an exciting day for JFD and our staff who can look forward to even more employment opportunities because the acquisition of Cowan Manufacturing will expand JFD’s capability, resulting in JFD creating more jobs across Australia for Australians.”
JFD’s products and services are used by 80 nations and 33 navies and include submarine rescue systems, hyperbaric rescue systems, saturation diving systems and diving rebreathers.
Cowan Manufacturing, a family business since 1973 which currently employs 25 staff, has an equally impressive and proven track record and is recognised worldwide for its design and manufacture of lifesaving recompression and hyperbaric chambers.
“Our core business has always been to make world’s best products using Australian steel and aluminium and employing highly-skilled local tradespeople,” said Managing Director, Cowan Manufacturing, Bob Cowan.
“It has been this unwavering commitment to quality along with our workshop, testing and laboratory facilities that has seen us establish important defence clients in Australia, Asia and Europe and secure the highly-sought US Navy Seal of Approval.
“Linking in with JFD Australia is the obvious progression for us as both businesses are keen to push ahead with supporting and growing local industry and jobs.
“All of our current employees will retain their positions following the acquisition and they will benefit from further in-house opportunities for promotion.”
Cowan Manufacturing acquisition helps JFD Australia’s bid to become a $53 million business by 2022.
“The transaction means JFD Australia will extend its existing RAN hyperbaric repairer accreditation and include in our Australian capabilities the manufacturing of highly technological steel and aluminium equipment such as the submarine rescue vehicles which are so important to our business,” said Mr Idrus.
“We have long been considered the world’s triple-0 number for distressed submarines and now, with Cowan Manufacturing, we can further enhance this capability with the world’s best recompression and life support system for divers and submarine crews in need of emergency support anywhere in the world.”
JFD’s Global Managing Director, Giovanni Corbetta agreed, saying Cowan Manufacturing is a welcome addition to JFD Australia.
“Cowan Manufacturing takes JFD to the forefront of providing comprehensive hyperbaric support, as well as submarine rescue system engineering, manufacturing and services capabilities.
“This will further strengthen our vision to support our clients’ core operations by offering Australian-market-leading technology solutions and world-class support.”